The Automated Monkeyboard (AM) eliminates the need for a derrickman, greatly improving safety, while increases the speed of tripping in and out.
It automatically handles tubulars from 3 1/2″ to 20″. The monkeyboard is designed with a patented hydraulic clamp that automatically centers on a tubular to ensure clamping is on center.
The AM can store three range-2 drill pipes (triple) and operates hands-free or in semi-automatic mode, in which a driller activates a switch to manipulate each step of the monkeyboard.
How It Works
Below are the steps taken by the monkeyboard to move a tubular from the top drive to the fingerboard:
- Two clamps open on the monkeyboard trolley arm.
- The trolley moves the clamps toward a tubular below the top drive.
- The clamps reach around the tubular (the trolley stops when a pressure switch is automatically activated, stopping the forward movement). The clamps then tighten over the tubular.
- The trolley reverses course to the fingerboards and the trolley arm rotates to a finger.
- A safety bar opens at the end of a finger and the clamps move forward, placing the tubular in the finger. The tubular is tilted and lowered until resting on the drilling floor.
- The clamps open and release the tubular. The arm withdraws from the finger, rotates, then repositions to grab the next tubular.